- This medication is the backbone of treatment in type 2 diabetes. Depending on current blood glucose levels of the patient, this medication may be used on its own (monotherapy) or combined with other diabetic medications.
- It has 3 main functions in the body
- Decreases the livers glucose production
- Decreases absorption of glucose in the intestine
- Increases the body’s sensitivity to insulin so that it is more effective
- It is well tolerated. The most common side effects are abdominal cramping and diarrhea
- A benefit of metformin is that it does not cause weight gain or cause hypoglycemic episodes