Case Studies to Test Your Knowledge - Case Study 1
- Carmen is a 15-year-old girl who was admitted to Mount Saint John Hospital. Her parents tell doctors that she has lost 10 pounds in the last 4 weeks, complains of constant fatigue, and wakes frequently at night to go to the bathroom. After testing, the doctors determine that she has Type I Diabetes.
Type I Diabetes Questions for You
- 1. What is Type I Diabetes?
- 2. Who is at risk?
- 3. What tests did doctors perform on Carmen to determine that she has Type I Diabetes?
- 4. How is Type I Diabetes managed? Will Carmen receive insulin, pills, or both? (Check Diabetes Management section)
- 5. What type of diet would be beneficial for Carmen?
- 6. What education is important is important for Carmen and her family?
- 7. Make a long-term diabetes management plan for Carmen. How can she maximize her quality of life?